SMND Choral Ensembles
Choral Ensembles sponsored by the Program in Sacred Music at Notre Dame
Participation in the ensembles of the Sacred Music Program at Notre Dame will depend upon course of study inside or outside the Sacred Music Program, the specific schedule, and personal goals. Ensemble participation provides professional-level musical training as well as opportunities to study and learn sacred music repertories.
Students in the Sacred Music Graduate Programs (MSM and DMA) will consult with their faculty advisors about their specific responsibilities within overall ensemble participation. Participating singers must consult the SMND Calendar to ensure that they can participate in required events before committing to an ensemble.
Undergraduate students in Music and all other students at Notre Dame are invited to contact our office and Sacred Music conducting faculty about taking advantage of the many ensemble opportunities available, including those ensembles that can be taken for credit. The default address for initial inquiries is email@example.com
- This is a training chorus for all current students in SMND program, providing podium time in the preparation of masterpieces of sacred choral music. In the Spring Semester the Master Singers perform a combined recital directed by first year MSM conducting majors, for which a Saturday dress rehearsal and a Sunday performance is added to the required meeting times
- Meets Thursdays at 12:30-1:50 in the Fall and Spring semesters, with the addition of one Saturday dress rehearsal and Sunday performance in the Spring semester.
- All SMND students take this as a required repertoire class for 0.5 credits per semester for 4 semesters.
- Students outside of SMND can register in Master Singers for 0.5 credits by audition, and in the Spring Semester only. For information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notre Dame Vocale
- Professional-training choir made up of MSM Conducting and Voice students and DMA Conducting students, led by Professor of Conducting Carmen-Helena Téllez. This ensemble prepares high-level musical projects every year and sings in advanced conducting lessons.
- Meets Tuesdays and/or Fridays from 12:30 to 1:50 depending on current projects as decided by Professor Tellez.
- Participation may be assigned as a supervised placement for graduate students by ½ assistantships up to 6 hours per week.
- Participation is restricted at this time to graduate students in the Sacred Music Program. Participation by an undergraduate student must be recommended to Professor Tellez by the student's voice teacher and an audition will be required.
The Conductors' Project
- This ensemble is a collective of SMND students, Notre Dame students at large, and singers from the community, specifically recruited on a project-by-project basis for student conductors preparing full choral-orchestral recitals.
- The ensemble rehearses over a concentrated period of 3 weekends, Fridays and Sundays from 4 to 6:30pm, for a total estimated 17.5-22 hours, depending on the complexity of the project.
- All singers are paid a small stipend for their service.
- Can be taken for 0.5 credit for completion of one Conductors' Project or for 1 credit upon completion of 2 Conductors' Projects. If taken for credit, the student cannot be paid a stipend. Graduate students in the Program of Sacred Music cannot take this for credit.
- All singers wishing to participate should contact the SMND office. An audition and a short list of previous choral experiences may be required.
- Members of Notre Dame Vocale may be assigned as section leaders for as many weekly hours they may have available to contribute beyond any other duties in the week. Any excess hours beyond half-placement hours will be paid with a prorated stipend like the other students.
Notre Dame Festival Chorus
- This is a non-paid large ensemble recruited from the Notre Dame student and faculty community, and from among singers in the region.
- This ensemble is recruited for appearances in major choral-orchestral works to be led by Carmen-Helena Téllez.
- This ensemble performs once a year, usually in the Fall, rehearsing over a concentrated period of 3 weekends, Fridays and Sundays from 4 to 6:30pm, for a total estimated 17.5-22 hours, depending on the complexity of the project. Please write to email@example.com to inquire about current projects of the Notre Dame Festival Chorus.
- All singers wishing to participate should contact the SMND office. An audition and a short listing of previous choral experiences may be required.
The Notre Dame Festival Chorus recently performed Mozart's Requiem.