Notre Dame Children's Choir
Plan ahead for our Christmas Concert on December 15, 2013 at 2:30PM at the Church of the Loretto, Saint Mary's College.
Follow us on FACEBOOK.
The Notre Dame Children's Choir (NDCC) initiative aims to reinvigorate children's choral music and education in the churches of the greater South Bend area. NDCC is an ecumenical ensemble for Christian sacred music open to singers of ages 7 to 14. In addition to learning healthy vocal technique, choristers practice the fundamentals of reading and expressing music. Each season, NDCC will host a festival of sacred children’s choirs, collaborate with important conductors and composers, participate in annual musical retreats, regional tours, and perform at a variety of churches. NDCC is free to all choristers. Each singer is eligible to receive a scholarship, depending on need, to be used for costs incurred by families while their children are in the ensemble.
We hope to see many of you at our auditions at local churches and on the University of Notre Dame campus for the coming season. Singers with changing voices are also welcome to apply. Watch our website for audition locations, dates, and times. It is never too early to contact us with questions or register online.
Mark B. Doerries
The Notre Dame Children’s Choir opens a new chapter for children’s sacred choral music in the South Bend area, restoring the richness and power of the region’s Christian musical heritage.
- The NDCC is a 40-voice choir for children made possible through Sacred Music at Notre Dame.
- Rehearsals are held two days a week for 90 minutes on the Notre Dame campus.
- The choir is open to children and young adults ages 7–14.
- Membership requires a brief audition with NDCC conductor, Mark Doerries. The ability to read music is not required. Visit our website for audition locations and dates.
- The NDCC is an ecumenical musical organization that sings Christian repertory with representation from Roman Catholic and Protestant traditions.
Our ND Children's Choir has been featured on WNDU TV.
The Notre Dame Children’s Choir will shape a new sacred music landscape for our community. Listed below are some of the performance opportunities available to singers:
- A Notre Dame Children’s Choir Choral Festival of Sacred Music
- An exclusive NDCC fall retreat
- Collaborative performances with the South Bend Chamber Singers
- A performance at the South Bend Farmer’s Market
- Coming May 2014: Noye’s Fludde (Noah’s Flood) by Benjamin Britten — with dramatic roles for children and youth!
Singing is Good for You!
The benefits of musical participation are many and invaluable to a child’s overall education:
- Develop music reading and singing skills
- Learn the heritage of your faith through music
- Stronger language development
- Improved spatial-temporal skills
- Better memory recall
- Join centuries of choristers singing and praying
- A lifetime of musical engagement